I think it took me long enough to try spaghetti squash. It took so long because i could never FIND it! Maybe because i didn't know what i was looking for. Anyway, one day in Wal-Mart, i was passing through the produce section when i spotted it. I practically RAN to it, picked it up to make sure it was actually spaghetti squash, and not some other squash. And it was. SCORE! :)
It is SO GOOD! It was definitely worth waiting for. I think it is my favorite veggie. Spaghetti Squash is often used in place of pasta. I was never a huge fan of pasta. I like it and all, but it's not one of my weaknesses. That being said - i actually PREFER spaghetti squash in place of pasta! And so does Brad!! He LOVED it!
So here we go. My first try at Spaghetti Squash.
Baked Spaghetti Squash & Cheese.
- 5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small)(Could have used 1)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gluten free)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the squash lengthwise; remove & discard seeds.
Um...this proved difficult. I had to get hubby to help & it wasn't easy for him either!
Trying to find the right knife. Hahaha!
I mean, GAH! This part was NOT easy! But after that it was smooth sailing! ;)
2. Place squash on baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
3. Separate the strands of squash & place in a medium bowl. Discard shells.
Honestly, it would be fine...just like this...with some olive oil, salt & pepper, maybe. But we kept going w/ the recipe. ;)
4. Heat butter & oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions & cook about two minutes. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low & cook, stirring continually, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add milk & chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt & pepper.
6. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese, and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt & pepper to taste. Add squash & spinach, and mix well.
7. Pour into a baking dish, and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
8. Bake until bubbly and golden 25-30 minutes.
This was an easy recipe, too. Once you get past actually cutting the spaghetti squash! But that may have been just us. HA! :)